Wednesday 4 January 2012

A Destiny in the Stars?: Susan's Farewell Tour

Well, the Christmas holiday didn't quite go as I'd planned. I spent far too much time having fun with friends and family to leave any space at all for writing - I really should get my priorities sorted out! I've also realised that there are a number of short stories I want to review that don't group together neatly, and five novels which will take some time to read, and, and...

The short and the long of it is that, first, I am ditching my policy of writing 500-1000 words per entry. That way, if I've only got a little to say (for instance, when reviewing a short story) I can post 250 words without feeling guilty about it. Second, I am not going to worry about keeping going with two or three posts a week, so that if (say) City at World's End is taking a long time to read I'll go with the flow and take a week off. Neither of these is ideal, but both are consistent with my goal of being gentle with myself. And if, as I hope, I get more paid work, then that can be a wholly positive thing rather than a pressure.

This section of my marathon covers the rest of Susan's time with the Doctor and the teachers, plus a few stories dealing with the aftermath before the new girl arrives. There should be forty-odd reviews, only ten of which will be of televised episodes or serials. But I'm not going to start with any of that. I promised you a pre-Unearthly Child review, and late though it is, I'm going to get it to you Friday. Or Monday. Sometime in the next week, definitely. Maybe.

Next Time:
Quinnis.

2 comments:

  1. That's a healthy attitude- writing a blog is partly about the minor matter of interesting your readers but the most important thing is that it's fun for oneself!

    It suddenly strikes me just how much non-televised early Hartnell stuff there is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being understanding, faithful reader! ;-)

    One thing Christmas was good for vis à vis the blog was getting more material to write about: the First Doctor Lost Stories CDs, a Companion Chronicle, and two relevant back issues of DWM. Oh, and an adipose stress toy to pummel when things get tough.

    I also got The Key to Time boxset, but that's not going to benefit the blog for quite a few years yet...

    ReplyDelete