Monday 3 December 2012

The Talking Stones of Tyron, scene 4

The Doctor was worried. It was a new feeling; he was still getting used to thinking with the mind of his new Mouth, and this creature wasn't like the old ones. Everything was imprecise, battered by chemical impulses and random electrical surges. It allowed room for a different kind of creativity to the dull, predictable Mouths of old; but it also meant that thought was frustratingly meandering.

He had no idea how long it had been since he last had a Mouth - there was no awareness until one came into range, after all - but for some reason his stone-memory had eroded to the point that he was almost starting anew. And there were so few others to talk with! Just Ian, and Barbara beginning to wake up. Surely there should be a buzz of conversation? It was becoming apparent that the world had changed. He could think such complex ideas now, with a level of self-awareness he had never before experienced; but there was no real opportunity to discuss the possibilities, to test theories, probe weaknesses, hammer out details. What was the point of all this creativity if it couldn't be shared? Where were the Mouths for his brethren- and sistren-in-waiting?

His musings were interrupted by Ian. Odd that he felt irritated, as if it really was an interruption; for surely the purpose of existence was to converse? What was the point of solitary musing?

"Doctor! Didn't you hear me? I think Barbara's in trouble."

"And what do you expect me to do, dear boy? Run over there and give her a leg up?"

There was a pause. "I... don't know. I thought that maybe, since you've had a Mouth for longer than the rest of us, you could give her some advice? I'm having a bit of difficulty as well, to tell you the truth."

"What sort of difficulty?"

"Well..."

At that point, Barbara cut in. "Thad's bedder. Dradded creadure!"

"Do enunciate more clearly, my dear, it's hard to understand you."

"I'm drying, bud id's viding me!"

The Doctor sighed. These humans were so limited in their capabilities! No, wait, that wasn't his thought; it must be a Mouth memory. Interesting. He filed it away for future consideration.

Now, where was he?

"Doctor-" It was Ian this time. How could he think with all these distractions? It was intolerable!

"Oh, do go away, there's a good fellow."

Again the pause. "Doctor, I think it's not just Barbara and I. Something's wrong with all of us."

"What are you talking about?" Even as his impatience spilt out into his speech, the Doctor felt a thrill. Something to debate!

"Ian's ride, Dogdor. Oh, vor goodnezz zake, Mouth! Why won'd you go-operade? Bud thad's pard of wad I mean. Mouths don'd agd like thiz."

Ian took up the argument again. "Exactly. Mouths are, well, Mouths. They come when called, for one thing. And there are more of them. If a Mouth has some physical need it may wander off, but another will be along soon."

Yes, thought the Doctor. I had forgotten. That was how it was. "So where are they now, hm? And why do these new Mouths struggle so?"

"I think I can answer that." It was Barbara's voice, but something was... off.

"Barbara? Is that you?"

"No! Well, I suppose it was in a way. That was my Mouth."

"Your... Mouth?" The Doctor chuckled. "Wonderful! Quite wonderful!" This was most stimulating. A Mouth with an opinion? "Do let it go on, my dear."

Barbara cleared her throat. "Well, my name's Barbara. But you already know that. I am a human, from the planet Earth in the Twentieth Century. So is Ian, though the Doctor and Vicki are from different times. We are all travellers, and only arrived on your world by chance. I'm sorry if we trespassed, but we are not your Mouths, and if you try to hold onto us we will die. So I am asking you to let us go. Please?"

"An eloquent plea, my dear." He paused. "Barbara? Excuse me, I mean our Barbara. Did you get a better chance to study its vocal mechanisms?"

"Yes, Doctor." This time it was the expected voice. "I am in full control now."

"Excellent, excellent. So, what do you think our course of action should be?"

"Well, if these are the only available Mouths we need to make the most of them, even though they fit so poorly. But that means they will need to be released occasionally to refuel."

"Ian?"

"I agree with Barbara, but we will have to be careful how we go about it. I certainly wouldn't want two of them at large at the same time."

"Very well, I concur." There was something nagging at the back of the Doctor's mind, something else missing. He tried to track it, but the nature of the new Mouth's brain meant it kept eluding him. And the others were waiting. Perhaps it would come to him later. "In the longer term we need to figure out how to make more Mouths, but our immediate concern is the fourth one. We need to capture Vicki."

Next Time:
The Talking Stones of Tyron, scene 5

No comments:

Post a Comment