Friday 21 December 2012

It's the End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine)

Well, I didn't manage to get my review completed, and now I never will - because this is the last day. I have some friends going to an end-of-the-world party tonight; if the more apocalyptic ancient Mayans were wrong and there is another day (the first of the next Long Count) they'll be cheering and pulling party poppers just after midnight. Because, y'know, those Mayans calculated everything using Greenwich Mean Time.

Me, I won't be there because we're hosting a Winter Solstice party, which is an altogether more hopeful (and repeatable) event. The longest night - halfway through the dark. Not, as some might have it, halfway out of the dark, because that would presumably be midway between the Solstice and the Spring Equinox, but why quibble? (Ans.: Because it's fun. Until someone takes it too far.)

The thing is, there's a lot of this sort of stuff going on at the moment. My aunt's 99th Birthday party was three days ago (although my back meant I couldn't go), and there's some newfangled celebration happening in four days time that people seem to have got quite excited about. And all this means I'm going to be spending a lot of time away from the computer.

So instead of dazzling you with my reviewing prowess (or not, as the case may be), I'll wish you a happy celebration of your choice. Take it easy, be excellent to one another, and I'll see you on the other side.

Fingers crossed.

Next Time:
My review of The Lion... eventually. Don't hold your breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment