Friday 14 December 2012

The Talking Stones of Tyron: Epilogue

Author's note: I was not sure whether to include this epilogue or not, so I would welcome feedback. Does it enhance or harm the experience of reading the story? Is your decision influenced by how familiar you are with the featured TARDIS crew?

The young nurse stood on the rooftop, leaning on the rail and watching the figures below. "My God," he said, the shock clear in his voice, "just look at 'em all. It's unbelievable."

The woman next to him nodded. "Yeah. It is." Her voice was weary, but calm. There was horror underneath the supportive, sympathetic tone, but it was an old horror, dulled by repetition.

"They were, like, really nice to me, you know? When we first got here I thought they were just these big dumb animals, but then after we got separated they went out of their way to help me. I mean, there they were, just munching on the plants by the side of the walkways; how was I supposed to know they were intelligent? I thought it was like those cows in India - they roam all over, and nobody stops them, right? An' I was just standing there, wondering how I could find someone to speak to, when one of them asks me if I'm alright, in this big, booming voice. I nearly jumped out of me skin! He took me to this restaurant they keep just for aliens, and the chef - Mrr'ochah or something - made me this meal, an' he was so happy because he'd never had a chance to cook for a human before." He made a fist, banged it on the rail. "Now he really is just a mindless animal. Like everyone else. I mean, God, it's a whole species wiped out in a second."

"That's not quite true - they have colonies on several other planets. The psi bomb took out the higher brain functions of everyone on their homeworld, but it's left all the infrastructure intact. They won't have any trouble recolonising it."

"An' that's supposed to make me feel better, is it?"

"Come on, Hex, at least we made sure nobody else has to suffer the same fate!" Ace paused, took a breath. "Listen, mate, we'd better get back to the TARDIS. We need to be out of here before anyone else arrives; you know how much the Doctor hates answering questions."

"Oh yeah? Well, if we're in such a hurry where is he? An' what's he been up to all this time?"

"Making arrangements, Mister Hex." The nurse jumped as the Doctor's rolled 'r's sounded in his ear.

"An' what's that supposed to mean? Another one of your secret plans, too important to tell mere mortals, right?"

"Not at all. Several lifetimes ago I made a promise, one I never expected to keep. What happened here is a tragedy; but it finally gives me the opportunity to put that right. Although you may have to put aside some of your cultural prejudices regarding the treatment of the brain-dead."

Ace sighed again. "Alright, Doctor, out with it."

"Not here! I'll tell you once we are safely in the TARDIS."

The three of them walked back to the ship. In another galaxy, the stones of Tyron were waiting for a chance to speak again...

Next Time:
The author talks about The Talking Stones of Tyron. Ho hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment