Friday 15 November 2013

Where am I Going? I Don't Know!

A recent comment by one reader prompted me to think about where I am going with this, and whether it's time to repaint the wagon.

Basically, the problem was that he couldn't always tell from the outset which story I was reviewing, so he suggested including the name of the story in the title of the post, and in the "next time" slot at the end. I thought about it: it made sense, particularly with the non-televised stories whose episode titles are sometimes pretty obscure (or even invented by me, as will probably happen next when I review Frostfire). But I didn't want to do it. I did eventually come up with a solution to the request that satisfied both of us - I would mention the story title in the first sentence of each episode review - but the act of pinning down why I didn't want to go along with his offered solution reminded me of some original intentions I had regarding the blog.

One thing that I may not have ever made clear is that this isn't (primarily) a story review blog. I was prompted to start it when I read a piece on Elizabeth Sandifer's TARDIS Eruditorum about how we consume Doctor Who in the 21st Century, as opposed to how it was seen in the 1960s. Back then it was a serialised show, designed to be watched one episode a week and to provide family entertainment for 25 minutes each Saturday throughout most of the year. It wasn't a bunch of made-for-TV movies split into 25-minute chunks, which we can now watch on DVD in all their long-form glory. Sitting down for almost three hours to watch The Daleks doesn't give the right impression at all.

So, I started my marathon explicitly to experience the show as a series of episodes. And that's why I do so many episode reviews: this is (primarily) an episode review blog. The "Next Time" bit at the end is intended as a caption card, rather than being particularly informative for readers.

I'd forgotten that. I was becoming concerned that there wasn't enough meat in the serial reviews at the end of each run of episode reviews - more importantly, I'd started writing episode reviews merely out of habit. And I would spice up my "Next Time" sections to make them more fun, more chatty, or more teasing. But in doing all this I was slipping away from what makes this blog unusual. The fanfic, the "serial # as a whole" reviews, the "what was I thinking?" posts like this, all have their place; but they are subsidiary to the main point of the exercise, which is the episode reviews.

It's aimed at a very niche audience. I could probably attract a lot more readers if I did turn it into a story review blog, but there are plenty of good ones out there already (Doc Oho's, for example), and if I was trying to compete with them I'd give up. Let me focus on my tiny pond instead. That way there's a chance I'll still be doing my marathon in a year's time.

Where am I headed? I ain't certain. Just like the viewers of the 1960s. All I know is I am on my way.

Next Time:
The Morisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment