Monday 14 September 2015

Episode CC8.03b: Upstairs, Episode 2: Dust and Empire

Warning: this review spoilers the menace as well as the location and some lesser plot details, but not the overall plot.

As usual, most of the review is going to be taken up talking about the writing; but first let's start where I left off last time, with a quick addition to what I've already said about the production. I found that the throbbing fungus noise got quite irritating after a while; enough so that it distracted me from the story a couple of times.

On to the performances, and Peter Purves seems to have warmed up now, though of course it's mostly up to Maureen O'Brien, who has a larger cast to portray this time. I found her maid's voice to be much better than her Doctor's, and Bartholomew showed that she can be convincing as a man as well. I did note that she uses regional accent for differentiation, something I do myself when reading; and part of me thinks this is kind of a cheat. But then again, it's certainly effective, and I generally don't notice it except in extreme cases; so why worry?

The rest, then, concerns Mat Coward's script. Once again the main cast are nicely characterised - the observation that the Doctor can always seem to make people tell him things, even if they do lock him up afterwards, is spot on. Steven spends quite some time in the comedy sidekick role he often takes in his travels with Vicki - something Purves does very well, on TV as well as audio - and his "member of the EMC" comment made me laugh. Once again Vicki is shown to be smart, although I did wonder when she learned about the proper rules of address for English "persons of quality"?

Speaking of which, the handling of class is done in a satisfying (if not exactly subtle) way. The classic servant habits of deference - which are not just an ahistorical media creation, although they had been vastly overgeneralised by the 1960s - are put to good use. (As is the automatic sexism, too.) I love one observation from the Doctor, which I'll quote in full:
"There exists a desire to be ruled, to be led; and at the same time, in the same psyche, there lives a realisation that the rulers are not up to the job. It's why mobs cut idiot kings' heads off, you know, only to plant another idiot king on the same throne."
Lovely. It's the servants, actually, who make this episode - their plans, along with their frankly bonkers loyalty to their Prime Minister, seem very "Whoish". Coward puts some other nice touches in too, though - the idea of Number 10 being bigger on the inside, for instance, or the TARDIS having a Smaller Scent Library, in which smaller scents are kept. We also get a bit more nicely integrated background information, particularly concerning the history of Downing Street. One odd oversight comes up when they are talking about Earth fungi not feeding on people - none of the characters have heard of fungal infections, apparently!

The story is wrapped up well with a nice, tidy ending, but I felt this episode lacked a little of the atmosphere we saw in Dust and Death. I can't quite put my finger on anything specific - the pacing seemed OK - so perhaps it was just the sound effects, taking me out of the moment. It was still very enjoyable, but because of this a bit closer to average overall.

Rating:
6/10.

Next Time:
Companion Chronicle 8.03 as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment