Wednesday 30 November 2011

Episode CC3.7b: Dangerous Endeavours

This episode opens with its first departure from the feel of the first season: there is no recap. This actually makes a lot of sense when the two episodes are on the same disk, and in this case - with Ian in the water - it's pretty obvious what is going on anyway. This leads into a section when Ian is ill again, which made me notice that this is a story without an Action Hero Ian component; thumbs up from me!

In fact, Ian was poisoned in each of the previous two televised serials; hypnotised, frozen and knocked unconscious in the one before that; dehydrated in Marco Polo; affected by the TARDIS in Inside the Spaceship; and shot and exposed to radiation in The Daleks. It's a wonder the poor man hasn't burnt out by now...

The dialogue continues to be excellent - Banks' "I will never leave you" is particularly creepy - and the writing in general is still good, but I found myself slightly less engaged by the plot this time around. It's hard to put my finger on precisely why; it could just be that there were a number of interruptions while I was listening to it, which is unfair but consistent with my decision to base my scoring for each episode purely on how much I enjoy it.

The first part gave us the gradual build-up of Ian's suspicions, culminating in the attempt on his life; this one is more claustrophobic, as Ian - sure now that Banks is a danger - attempts to persuade others of his findings, in the face of skepticism and mounting annoyance. Once again William Russell's narration is spot on, and I look forward to hearing more from him (which I will, right after The Reign of Terror). We also get to see into the Doctor's head - just a little, and from Ian's perspective - and the glimpse of his vulnerability and concern for Susan is touching.

Ah yes, the missing half of our cast. Susan is, as usual, pretty much ignored for most of the story, only getting a little airtime right at the end. I guess that's in keeping with the feel of the season too, though it's an aspect I'd have been happy to do without. Barbara, on the other hand, even while absent, has quite a presence. It starts when Banks mentions her name to the ailing Ian, although he's actually referring to a plant specimen (another fine example of Rayner's research). Ian thinks of her more and more as time goes on - a possible case of absence making the heart grow fonder. - and this leads quite naturally to Ian's partial realisation concerning what is actually happening.

When I first listened to this I'd never seen The Sensorites, and Banks' key line as the ship foundered - "I'm going to lead you back - I'm your navigator" - meant nothing to me. Now, of course, it does, and the resolution works better for it.

The story treads a fine line between modern sensibilities and the rather more pro-colonial attitudes of the first season. Keeping Ian on board ship when Cook makes contact with the Australian inhabitants helps to avoid potential pitfalls, and keeps the plot focused on the main characters.

Overall, this is a worthy conclusion to the story; and I'm only sorry I can't give it a higher rating.

Rating:
6/10.

Next Time:
Companion Chronicle 3.7 as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment