Monday 28 May 2012

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds

I've nearly finished writing the next entry - it's currently over 700 words, with just a couple of paragraphs to go - so I didn't need to delay things; but I decided to post this anyway, for no real reason other than "just because".

I recently watched Timelash for the first time and the presence of H. G. Wells must have stuck in my mind, because when I was randomly flicking through my music CDs looking for something to listen to while cooking (vegetable risotto with goat's cheese and Roquefort plus outdoor reared Yorkshire ham for the non-veggies - very tasty, but quite a bit of prep and it needs watching) this album jumped out at me. So I stuck it on for the first time in well over a decade.

I'm not going to say much about the music, which is very 1970s (a phrase that covers a multitude of different genres); nor about the vocal performances, which in some cases rival Paul Darrow's Tekker for enjoyable scenery-chewing. They're good enough, but I just want to talk about the story; and since I haven't read the book version for at least two decades, this will be my window into that world.

I have a familial connection with the setting of the tale, because back in 1921 my mum was born (and then grew up) in the village of Knaphill - mentioned (and burned) in the book, and close enough to Horsell Common (site of the first cylinder landing) that it was a regular dog-walking spot. Indeed, my aunt and two cousins still live in the area, though none of them now go "car spotting", which involved sitting by the side of the road during the long summer holidays from school, chatting with mates, and when a car came by noting down the number! Similarly, my grandfather was pleased when they painted white lines down the middle of the road because it gave him something to follow when walking home from the pub in the dark! Truly another world.

And speaking of other worlds (see what I did there?), this story is so obviously a major influence on The Dalek Invasion of Earth that I'm surprised I didn't think of it at the time. You have implacable aliens that have evolved to be almost entirely brain encased in hard-to-destroy metal machines killing people with heat-rays. You have a guy in an underground shelter dreaming of building a better world, man on top again, but with an enormous gulf between his dreams and his powers. You have a dead, empty London acting as a symbol for the entire world, you have an alien lifeform that the invaders have brought with them and let loose, you have the invasion defeated by natural forces rather than military might. Heck, there's even a plague, though in this case it's working for us, and an adaptation for the cinema.

Just thought it was worth a mention.

Next Time:
As we wave goodbye to the Doctor's granddaughter for some considerable time, we ask the somewhat ambiguous question, whatever happened to Susan?

4 comments:

  1. No-one would have believed...in the second decade of the 21st Century that this album was still being listened to...

    Found this blog recently via your comment on Tardis Eruditorum and am now slowly working my way through your marathon. Your earliest Who recollection is of “Fury From the Deep” at the age of 3. Mine’s probably “The Moonbase”, at the age of 5 (I was born in November ’61). It is refreshing to encounter someone who grew up with Troughton, instead of all those old codgers who insist there was only ever one Doctor (William Hartnell), or young upstarts who claim “Earthshock” to be the zenith of Cyberman stories!

    -Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At nearly three years older than me, you're pretty close to codgerdom - but you scrape a pass! ;)

      Hope you're enjoying the blog - I freely admit that some of the posts are less thoughtful than others, but then the reverse is also true. Was the comment you followed the one about The Ordeal? I am fond of that entry, rambling in a good way.

      Oh, and technically, Fury wasn't my first memory - I'm pretty sure I started with either The Abominable Snowmen or The Ice Warriors, though I'll only be able to tell if/when I get to see them again; and I definitely remember The Web of Fear. It was Fury that made me stop watching (specifically the foam pouring down on Victoria).

      Delete
  2. Codgerdom indeed!! Hmm...young man...what?

    Can't remember what comment on Phil's blog it was. A fairly recent one, somewhere in the 6th Doctor posts.

    Yes I remember the foam in Fury, and I do remember it being very scary. Probably because even back then I could tell the difference between "cyberman-which-is-really-a-man-dressed-up" scary, and soapy foam which was a real thing that could drown you scary. Even if I look back into my memory, the fear is still there. Recently just watched Web of Fear 1 for the first time in over 40 years. God I wish that serial was still around, because it's still creepy after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember being scared by some of the foam in Web too, but I managed to stick with it then.

      Still, this is really a discussion for much later in the life of this blog...

      Delete