Tuesday 22 May 2012

Short Trips, A Universe of Terrors 6.01: The Exiles, by Lance Parkin

Of the seven Short Trips books I've read - three from the BBC, four from Big Finish - this collection is my least favourite. Doctor Who can be anything, and one of the things it frequently turns out to be is scary. Which is fine, but (for me) there has to be something more than that, so a whole book focusing on the fear is too much - regardless of the quality of the writing.

The Exiles is the first story in the collection, and has the advantage that I read it before I became glutted on terror; but it is also a fine tale that does have something more anyway.

This is the earliest story of Susan and her Grandfather on their travels - indeed, it begins with the ship parked on their home planet as they enter for the first time. I choose my words carefully here, because at no point is there mention of Gallifrey, the TARDIS, or the Doctor. The use of "home planet" keeps the story grounded in the early days of the show, and although it's written in the third person we see events entirely from Susan's point of view: it implies that she came up with the acronym for the ship during their travels, and that the name "Doctor" may also have been adopted later. Certainly "Grandfather" is used in a similar way, as a name rather than just a familial relationship. Whether Susan is her Gallifreyan name is more problematic. At first glance the prose seems to think so, using it many times per page; but Grandfather always refers to her as "Child", so I'm inclined to think this is for convenience rather than saying anything about her past.

Like Inside the Spaceship, the story takes place entirely within the ship. It covers the first night of their hurried flight, and the first half describes their initial attempts to suss out the console room. The pacing and mood here is very well handled, expressing a palpable sense of desperation that gradually fades (though not completely) as the would-be travellers figure out how to bring the ship back to life. Or rather, Grandfather does; Susan is very much the passenger here. This feels realistic rather than patronising, with him having acted as an ambassador and watched technicians operating the controls of other timeships.

There are a number of hints like this about life on their home planet, most of them fairly vague or inconsequential; a story set in this timeframe can't help but tie down the past to an extent. It's a tricky line to walk. When my children were into Thomas the Tank Engine on TV I became irritated that the show introduced so many new characters that weren't there in the original books - until I realised that, in my own childhood, meeting new characters had been one of the main things I looked forward to when I read a new book! It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, and I've been more tolerant since.

The second half of the story is entirely Susan's, as she heads off to investigate the interior of the ship. This part has a certain Castrovalvan feel to it, particularly when she encounters a full-length mirror just sitting in the corridor. It also touches on her telepathy, subtly, as she thinks thoughts that are definitely not hers, tempting her to explore. Is this the being she later encounters, or is it the ship itself? I'm tempted by the idea of the latter, as a strong telepathic link between the two would explain why she was the most violently affected in Inside the Spaceship. Again it's only a hint, though, and the lack of a concrete answer is part of the mood setting.

We also get to see Susan in the wardrobe, choosing from the "rails and rails and rails and rails and rails of clothing." She transforms herself through this, ditching her brown robe and assembling an outfit not too dissimilar in style to the fashions of 1963.

Throughout, there is good use of imagery. Mirrors, of course, have a special place in our mythmaking, and - having compared entering the ship to falling "down the rabbithole" in my last review - I can't avoid thinking of the second Alice book here. The gradual retreat of darkness in the first half also makes me think about the long warm-up time of 1960s televisions, or the early moments of the universe. The fact that Grandfather is the first of their people to think of leaving also emphasises the idea that we are here at the birth of something new.

My only real complaint about The Exiles is that it feels like a fragment of a tale. Obviously this is something that could be said about almost any vignette, but there is an over-reliance on "unfinished" stories in this collection and it begins here. The odd thing, though, is that it really is a fragment. I know, because I've read the next bit of the story in another collection! It makes me wonder how many more sections are out there. I won't get to that second instalment for about six Doctors-worth of reviews, and given the prices that the Big Finish Short Trips books go for I may never find out if there are any more. Perhaps they only exist as echoes, glimpsed in mirrors reflecting other universes? Whatever. It's very cool, but also very annoying.

A Confused Chronology, part 4: Ahistory
I have to bring this up now, even though the positioning of this tale is totally clear-cut, because we won't be seeing another Lance Parkin story for quite a while. Parkin is the author of a mammoth tome organising as many stories as he can into historical order. He is also the author of a couple of novels that throw the idea of a single continuity out of the window. Elizabeth Sandifer describes this as "hilarious" in her entry on Parkin's Cold Fusion, and while I can see her point I don't see the situation as at all contradictory. (Dr. Sandifer also dislikes the idea of a Whoniverse, a term I use with gay abandon; but there we are simply using the word to mean different things.)

Actually, I've already mentioned Ahistory - in the first entry of this sidebar series - and I have no doubt that it'll crop up again. Most of the book is a history of the universe, but the history of Gallifrey is given a separate section as it would be meaningless to try and line it up alongside the passage of normal time. And there are a few stories that can't be placed at all for some reason or other, some because they take place entirely in the vortex. I look forward to the edition that includes short stories such as this one...

Published:
Date: 23rd December 2010
ISBN: 978-1-84435-504-4

Rating:
7/10.

Next Time:
I've still got a couple of weeks before the blog's anniversary, so (all being well) I'll say a little something about Susan's next chronicled adventure: Frayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment