Monday 23 July 2012

Give-a-Show Projector Slides

These were never intended as a single story, but the ever-inclusive Andrew Kearley of The Complete Adventures site has combined all the ones that aren't basically versions of televised adventures into a "travelogue-style" story, so I dug out the DVD of The Web Planet and took a peek - only to discover that it only had the Vortis one, which falls into the excluded category. However, the tube that is you allowed me to see the rest as well, though it was too tricky to sort it out so that they appeared in the "right" order.

First impressions are that this is very much in the TV Comic style. The companions are Iananbarbara, but John and Gillian would be more appropriate. I've only seen a couple of the comic strips, but they seem to match up with this - and I know enough to have decided not to pursue that particular thread of the program when the time comes.

Here we have such features as a dinosaur that shrinks as the TARDIS (sometimes called simply 'TARDIS', almost as if we were in Pete's World) moves forward in time - because they became extinct! And you can't take diamonds in the ship because they will disappear! It's a fantasy world of pure magic, where logic and consistency have no place - and perhaps the most fantastic is the Dalek thanking the Doctor and his companions for attacking some annoying insect pests...

It's often been said that the beauty of Doctor Who is that it can do anything, and that's a good thing; but sometimes this means it'll be doing things that I can't really be bothered with. I would class this as parallel universe material - 'Doctor Who Unbound', if you will - and I'm not going to try to fit it into my chronology of the Doctor; or indeed rate it.

Canon
I almost said "my personal canon" in that last sentence, a much-debated phrase. And since this is an extremely short review I might as well make use of the space to lay out my stall.

Let's start with the basics: what does 'canon' actually mean? I don't need to expend any effort on this, since Paul Cornell has explained it all clearly here.

Read it? Good. So you now know how not to use the term (unless you disagree with his argument, of course, which is your right). All that's left is for me to dust down the stage, stack the chairs, and turn out the lights.

Weeeellll.... not quite. Because there's one thing I like to do that Elizabeth Sandifer, in particular, isn't keen on; which is to use terms loosely, if they seem appropriate to me. That makes sense: Dr. Sandifer's critical training means that she can (and should) be precise on her blog, whereas I am a mathematician who reserves his precision for other arenas. I talk about "suspending my disbelief" when that's not really what I'm doing, and similarly I have a "personal canon". Which has nothing to do with canon. Because, for Who, that doesn't exist.

There. glad we got that straight.

Next Time:
A sidestep into the fannish land of Action Figure Theatre...

No comments:

Post a Comment