Thursday 5 July 2012

Virgin Decalog 2.06: The Nine-Day Queen, by Matthew Jones

I really don't like writing negative reviews, which is why I've put off this one for a while. Well, okay, there's also been the matter of real life positively barging in and taking the doors off the hinges as it did so. Some of it's been good (such as the two concerts my children have been in, including Tuesday night drumming at The Crucible) and some of it bad (mainly being in considerable pain for much of the time and the loss of concentration that comes with that). Still, it's been over a week and I'm feeling like it's not going to get any easier to write this, so I'm just going to put together something short.

My first Whoniversal encounter with Lady Jane Gray was the Sarah Jane Adventures story, Lost in Time (previously mentioned in connection with Mister Benn, of all things). There, the sequences with Rani meeting the Nine Day Queen were my favourite sections of the story; they had an emotional warmth that came across very well. The same is not true here. For one thing, Matthew Jones seems to think that the alien is the most interesting thing about the story, even though it really isn't. Or at least, shouldn't be; but the world of 1553 is so sketchily rendered that it might be by default. The guest cast (with one exception) come across as far too stagey, talking in clichés. Sometimes this can work, but here it is at cross-purposes with a dark plot that seems to call for more naturalistic performances.

The regulars don't sound much like themselves, either. The Doctor, in particular, is far too generic. If anything, I'd say he sounds more like a particularly grumpy McCoy than Hartnell, with a few "hmm"s, "my dear"s and "my boy"s thrown in for verisimilitude. It's not at all easy for an author to catch the cadences and mannerisms of a televisual character in print, as I have been finding out for myself lately; but for me as a reader it is vitally important.

What of the plot? The story starts well, with what I thought was going to be part of a framing sequence: an extract from an exam question set by Barbara. However, this is just something put in at the beginning with virtually no connection to the plot and no matching endpiece, unless you count the way the tone changes to that of a history textbook for the last several paragraphs. We then have a historical backdrop to an alien hunt, with the threat of changed history thrown in for good measure. It's inoffensive stuff, but there's not that much to it.

Once again the TARDIS crew spend some considerable time hanging around during the story - months in this case - and then it is implied that the Doctor is there at Jane's execution, nine months after their arrival. This isn't a complaint, really, since it creates space for the best aspect of the story, which is how it ties into the real history of the time. This is masterfully done, even down to the little details like the bruises on Jane's wrists and her choice of reading matter. When I was younger I used to love the jigsaw-puzzle cleverness of stories by authors like Isaac Asimov, and this one has that in spades. I'm sure if I wanted I could do more research than just reading the Lady Jane Grey Wikipedia page and I would find that Jones' knowledge runs deep. These days, this isn't enough for me, though. I want characters that live and breathe; and these are almost entirely lacking.

I say almost, because Lady Jane Grey is actually rather good. She almost rescues the first part of the story, and it is a real loss when she is sidelined later on in favour of the alien hunt.

Well, once I started I had more to say than I thought. There's actually quite a bit to admire in the story, but its flaws run afoul of my particular bugbears; so I can't rate it highly.

Published:
Date: 1995
ISBN: 0-426-20448-4

Rating:
2/10.

Next Time:
Perhaps Susan's Tale will continue; or perhaps I will be able to uncover The True and Indisputable Facts in the Matter of the Ram's Skull...

No comments:

Post a Comment