Friday 9 November 2012

Dialogue Disasters, scene 1

Barbara swam leisurely through the warm water, luxuriating in the feeling as it enveloped her, lifting her up in body and spirit. Ian was just climbing out, his wet back glistening in the yellow-white light of Tyron's sun; she watched him, surreptitiously, as he towelled his hair and strolled up the bank towards the Doctor, who lay reading in the shadow of a standing stone.

This is perfect, she thought, and wondered when the trouble would start. She was chiding herself for worrying unnecessarily when something erupted from the lake, noisily, showering her with water and momentarily blinding her.

"Got you!" cried a familiar voice, as Vicki's face swam into vague focus.

"Oh, have you indeed?" Barbara ducked beneath the surface where she could see more clearly again, and tried to grab the girl's legs; Vicki twisted out of her grasp and struck out for the shore. If it's a race you want, thought the teacher, I might surprise you; and she started after, feeling her muscles warm to the challenge as she picked up the rhythm of the crawl, one, two, breathe, one, two, breathe...

Barbara was gaining, but she was only the merest fraction swifter than her quarry. Vicki's foot was almost in reach, but the bank was coming up fast. She put on a last burst of speed and called out in triumph as she grabbed hold - just as Vicki's outstretched hand touched the side, and she, too, proclaimed victory.

"Well that was close," said the orphan. "You almost caught me then."

"'Almost'? I think you'll find you're the one who was almost fast enough."

Vicki paused for a second, then smiled knowingly. "Oh, I get it! You can't admit you came second when you're trying to impress Ian."

"I don't know what you mean," replied Barbara - unconvincingly.

"Really? I saw you watching him a few minutes ago."

"I was not!" Barbara felt her face flush. "I was just thinking. That's all."

Vicki smiled again, quietly, but decided to go easy on her. "Anyway, you're a fast swimmer for someone your age."

Barbara laughed, grateful for the opportunity to change the subject. "Thank you. I think. You're quick, too, and your technique is excellent. Have you been practising long?"

"Since I was a baby, of course." She noticed Barbara's expression. "Haven't you?"

"No, it was a little later than that for me."

Vicki looked faintly puzzled. "How strange." She lay back against the bank, feet moving gently to keep her in place. "This reminds me of the tanks back in Liddell Towers. It's the warmth, I think."

"Yes, there are hot springs underneath, extruding water heated by volcanic activity -"

"I know, Barbara. Ian already gave me the lecture."

"Sorry."

"It's just that all this is here without anyone to build it! No pipes, no plastic - not even a hypocaust. It feels - oh, I don't know. Pure, I suppose." She grinned. "Isn't it wonderful!"

Barbara laughed, feeling relaxed again. "It certainly is."

Next Time:
Scene 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment