Monday 15 April 2013

Episode 76 (R5): The Death of Doctor Who

I've occasionally mentioned 'redemptive readings' during this marathon. It's a term I picked up from Elizabeth Sandifer, though I imagine it's part of the vocabulary of those whose critical studies continued beyond O-Level English. I take it to mean "finding a way to enjoy something which, on the surface, isn't really all that enjoyable." She managed a redemptive reading of The Chase as a whole: not something I have achieved, as you can readily tell if you read my previous review. In fact, my opinion of the story in this episode is that much of it is a substandard runaround too.

So, why bring up 'redemptive readings' now? Actually, it's to do with the design budget finally running out. The jungle has visibly level floors with the odd cablelike vine running across it, transparent flats with two-dimensional bits of jungle decoration, and humorous giant mushroom creatures. The cave has walls with irregular patterns of parallel lines at odd angles. And above it all is a cardboard city, on impossibly high legs, with long walkways, slopes and towers. When I first watched this, I was disappointed in how it looked. Well, not by the city, which is cool despite being an obvious model; but by all the rest. This time around something clicked, and I was able to see it in a new light.

Mechanus is a world designed by Dr Seuss.

Theodore Geisel is one of America's greatest exports, in my opinion. I loved his books as a child, and when I had children of my own I kept my eye out in charity shops and picked up proper old-fashioned hardback versions of Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?, Fox in Socks and The Sneeches and Other Stories. They were a hit with May and Isaac, thus crossing not just the Atlantic but generations too. Anyway, there's a particular sort of wackiness to his work that matches what Raymond Cusick and John Wood have done here, most obviously in the city but also in the general flatness and strangeness of the world and its inhabitants. And watched in this way, it actually works. For once, the limitations of the design budget (and the "omit" stamps that Richard Martin always mentions in commentaries, whereby detailed designs are reduced to the bare essentials) actually end up creating something rather wonderful.

There's other stuff going on here too, of course - good, bad, and indifferent. The story has finally decided to abandon comedy rather than have the odd mix we've endured for the last couple of episodes. This arc - from outright comedy to outright drama - is something listeners have heard in a few Big Finish stories, notably The Holy Terror and Omega, and there it has worked well; here it feels more like changing horses midstream. Still, the worst is over now.

The acting is better than last time, and the music is spot on. Also, Martin seems to have figured out how to shoot Edmund Warwick better, so the fact that he looks almost nothing like William Hartnell matters much less (and Hartnell also adjusts his movements in the shots where he is playing the robot, which also helps). Warwick got the part as a reward, because he stepped in to cover for Hartnell when the star was injured during the shooting of Day of Reckoning; a nice gesture, though perhaps not the best idea for the show! Still, the fight between them is very well done, ending on a lovely shot from above. The script is good here, too, with the robot revealing itself by calling Vicki "Susan" (because the Daleks assume it's the same group that foiled their invasion of Earth).

Let me pause here for just a moment, because this episode starts to bring us right back round to the beginning of the show, with many echoes and mirrorings of the first serial. The latter include the shot of Ian raising a rock to smash in someone's head and the Doctor acting very bravely to rescue the others; the former, the fact that all the action takes place in jungle and cave. I'll have more to say about this next time.

Goodness, this is getting long already, and I've barely touched my notes! I'm actually going to skip most of them, and just finish off with a random selection of thoughts. The commentary has been good all serial, but I particularly enjoyed it this time. The observations about how William Hartnell used his hands when acting (and the advice he gave others) was enlightening. And, for once, they pointed out a production error I hadn't spotted: the camera visible in the jungle. They also revealed that there were two Daleks borrowed from the movie, shown in the background when they are planning their assault. While I hadn't actually counted them, this had made an impression on me as an impressive scene, with the Dalek force finally feeling like a proper threat.

Then there are the fungoids. I was glad that they were no danger to the Daleks, but what was not so great was the way people were also able to get away from them easily - after the actors had pushed themselves up against them in the first place!

Strangely, my favourite scene was a quiet one - when Vicki is reunited with Ian and the Doctor. Well written and well acted by all involved.

And the Mechanoid/Mechonoid? I'll talk about that next time...

Broadcast:
Date: Saturday, 19th June 1965
Viewers: 9.0 million
Chart Position: 11
Appreciation Index: 56

Rating:
5.5/10.

Next Time:
The Planet of Decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment