Monday 14 October 2013

Episode CC7.01b: The Birth of Ian Chesterton

Spoilery goodness ahead.

Last time, it seemed fairly obvious that Pendolin was the bad guy. He reminded me of the demon in the classic Doctor Strange story "What Lurks Beneath the Mask?" (originally from Strange Tales 136 according to t'Internet, though as a child I read the B&W Marvel UK reprint); but I was hoping there'd be more of a twist than there was. He did get his memories eaten too, after all.

The other thing I was looking forward to was the resolution of the cliffhanger. The "what the?" identity-switch moment at the end was certainly intriguing! And what happens at the start of this episode? Another disconnect - which is fine - but then they go back to their old selves, prompted just by the smell of matches in the fog, and write it all off with a line of dialogue. I found this really disappointing.

Still, what wasn't disappointing was the reference to the first novelisation, Doctor Who in an Exciting Adventure with the Daleks. In fact, I've enjoyed all the references to past stories. I believe every one of Ian's TV serials is covered, along with a number of audios; though this is the only book I spotted. In the second episode there are also several references to the program post-Ian: the time scoop, Sontarans and Rutans, Nekkistani (from the audios), even the Eternals! The nerd in me really enjoyed all of this.

One niggle, though: having Eternals among the captured specimens does seem to me to be setting up Pendolin's people as being more powerful than the story needs. This, along with the ending, makes this story feel like the start of a new trilogy - one which, with the end of the regular Companion Chronicle series fast approaching, seems unlikely to happen.

Anyway. This episode has to do a lot of heavy lifting in terms of explanation, and with that in mind the decision to move the action beyond the Chesterton Exhibition is a good one. It was a fun tour, but a bit more variety is needed at this point. The exposition is well done, fortunately, so it sounds like (mostly) natural conversation. There are some lovely turns of phrase - I particularly like "tugging away at his lapels and looking into the centuries." Though the fact that the discussion reveals the ending of The Rocket Men would have annoyed me if I hadn't heard it!

The way Ian hides both his recovery and the fact that he has rumbled Pendolin is particularly well done, both in terms of script and performance. The story of the rock made me think, too; it's a changing of history I hadn't considered.

Still, overall, this episode grabbed me less than the preceding one. It's a common problem for serialised stories in all media: everything's new and exciting to start with, but then you have to tie up the story. It's partly why the three-act structure evolved, to control the pacing of a play; and the limitation of two-episode stories is that you generally have to make Act One lead up to the cliffhanger, which only leaves 25 minutes or so for the other two. Indeed, the ending here feels in some ways as if we have only reached the end of the second act (at most) for Ian, and I think that's why it looks something like the start of a trilogy.

Rating:
5/10

Next Time:
The Time Museum as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment