Tuesday 29 October 2013

The Lost Stories 3.7, episode 3: A Light on the Dead Planet

The Masters of Luxor continues, and can I say how much I've been enjoying the episode titles so far? All very lyrical and evocative, much more so than the corresponding names for the actual Serial B: The Dead Planet, The Survivors, The Escape.

This episode opens with one heck of a metaphor: for anyone who knows anything about the theological aspects of the Catholic-Protestant split, the issue of transubstantiation must surely spring to mind. According to Catholic doctrine, the wafers of bread and wine (often mixed with water) that are given to the congregation during the sacrament of the Eucharist are literally transformed into the body and blood of Christ. So here we have the Perfect One - a robot who desires to transform himself into a living being - wanting to share wine, water and wafers with the people whose life force he wishes to take in order to achieve that transformation. This casts the Doctor and his friends in the role of the Protestants, declaring that such a transformation is impossible.

In 1963 we were, fundamentally, a Protestant country, and it would have been natural to align the program with the Protestant perspective; but equally, the show was made by a bunch of "wishy-washy-liberals" who wouldn't want to offend anybody's religion, so it is made clear that the religion in question is a mockery of Catholicism, just as the Perfect One is a "mockery of a man". But then again, one of the more barbed criticisms of transubstantiation is that it means the congregation are literally eating their god; and if I am to use one episode title in defence, then surely the fact that the building (and by extension, the robots' society) is cannibalistic must count on the other side? Plenty of food for thought.

What, then, of the contaminated communion comestibles? The Perfect One being immune to the poison is a symbol of how far away he (it?) is from his goal; he could not receive the sacrament even if it were genuine. But I am not sure of the meaning of the travellers being put to sleep.

The significance of this moment to me, though, was that the pleasure I took in the episode moved from the intellectual to the emotional, putting me right back in the area I usually occupy when being entertained by the show; and now, this entry gets back to being a more bog-standard review.

There is more "he said", "she said" in this episode. It had to happen, really, because the team splits up into girl and boy pairings, leaving each of the principal performers to talk to themselves for much of the time. Unfortunate, and it does have an impact on my enjoyment, but it's unavoidable unless you get other people in to do imitations of the Doctor and Barbara; so I'll say no more about it.

The script is solid, and gives Susan a strong role for once. Earlier episodes showed her teenage side; here she uses her scientific background and figures out what to do about her and Barbara's captivity. This always earns bonus marks from me for stories from a period which didn't generally treat her with much respect.

Anthony Coburn doesn't respect the design teams' hopes for a quiet life, though, with the way Ian and the Doctor leave the building. Still, it looked impressive in my mind! This thread of the plot provides a very nice twist, too. I'd been mildly interested in the robots' insistence that there was no signal, figuring they hadn't been given the capacity to perceive it by their makers; but the truth was not something I expected. It got me excited about the plot again, rather than just the ideas. I do hope it's something interesting.

Hm, I'm falling a little behind and I've written plenty, so I think I'll save the next instalment of the history of the serial for next time.

Rating:
5/10.

Next Time:
Tabon of Luxor.

No comments:

Post a Comment