Wednesday 12 February 2014

CC6.10 The Wanderer

Author Richard Dinnick has had one hit with me so far - Paradoxicide - but neither of his Hartnell stories (the other being A Star is Born, which I reviewed a long time ago) have impressed. I have no real problems with the acting and production, but this audio was still quite a disappointment - worth my time, but not one I will be returning to soon.

The extras are fairly typical fare, composed of enjoyable and disposable chat with various participants; but one thing interested me in particular. I had thought during the story - or episode 2, at least - that what happened to Grigori would have fitted better with Nostradamus; and sure enough, we find that it was originally written for him! A main range story due to be released around the same time was using the French prognosticator, and that gazumped the Companion Chronicle. A rewrite followed. This surprised me because I thought the Russian setting was the best thing about this story - perhaps Dinnick is an author who works best under pressure! By coincidence I've since heard that main range story, which was quite interesting - not an absolute favourite, but better than The Wanderer.

I am trying to figure out what I can do with my marathon at the moment: I am not managing to get any momentum going, so something needs to change. From next weekend I will probably be away from the Internet for almost a fortnight, so I will have an opportunity for a bit of a ponder - in between doing various exciting things that I shall say a little about when I get back. At the moment my best thinking is that I should write the conclusion to Iananbarbara's run (since everything I am doing is a timeslip anyway) and dive into the next section, which opens with one of my all-time favourite TV serials, and that might get my enthusiasm going again. We'll see...

Published:
Date: April 2012
ISBN: 1-84435-621-8

Rating:
3.5/10.

Next Time:
Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment