Monday 19 May 2014

I'm back - for a while, at least...

Well, it's been a long time since I posted here. I was thinking about how to start again while on the treadmill at the gym this afternoon. I do sometimes wonder what other people think of me: I have long hair and (at the moment) a shaggy beard, and I was wearing a t-short with tentacles. It's actually a Terry Pratchett one that my brother-in-law designed and had painted for me as a present. The front has a monster trying to get through a red stop symbol (you know the one - a circle with a diagonal bar across the middle), while the back says "Young Men's Reformed Cultists of the Ichor God Bel-Shamharoth Association Gym". So it seems appropriate when I'm working out. If they could have got inside my headphones, they'd have found I was listening to old Jethro Tull albums; if they made it as far as my mind, they'd have found a lot of Doctor Who stuff going on. Mainly to do with this blog. All a bit suspicious in a man of my age (still 49, just) - perhaps it's a midlife crisis.

The gym is part of my drive to get myself healthy enough for longer work - and, of course, longer life. It's contributed to a reduction in my weight and in the amount of pain I'm in each day. I also do a Pilates class specifically designed for people with bad backs and hips, and a Tai Chi class. In between I do daily exercises recommended by my physio, and am on a diet that seems to be working well most of the time (I've lost more than two stone) - though I do get very fed up eating vegetable soup! Overall, I probably spend more than 16 hours each week just on looking after my body, and that doesn't include the rest periods (which are actually vital).

My main problem is my glutes, which are reluctant to work at all. My daughter teases me that I've got no bum, and says I'll lose my wife to someone fitter if I don't do something about it. So, no pressure then.

All of which has precisely nothing to do with Doctor Who. I've just finished working at the local primary - thanks to zero hour contracts they don't need to pay me after SATs - and this means I have more time for writing. I'm going to be mostly working on selling my completed novel and trying to write a second, but I'm hoping this blog can be kept going too. Fingers crossed. The next post is already written, so I should be able to hit the ground running on Monday.

Upcoming reviews include The Reign Makers, The Duke's Folly, The Reign of Terror DVD, and The Prisoners of Time chapter one.

Next Time:
The Reign Makers...

No comments:

Post a Comment