Wednesday 4 June 2014

The Prisoners of Time, Chapter One: Unnatural Selection

[This review spoilers the identity of the menace for this chapter, but nothing else.]

I wasn't even aware that this comic existed until a couple of weeks ago, when deltaandthebannermen on Gallifrey Base put me on to the humble bundle containing loads of Doctor Who comics sold as (legal) PDFs. The humble bundles are a neat idea, selling collections of digital stuff for a variable price (decided by the buyer) with a proportion going to charity (also decided by the buyer). IDW - the publishers - are not going to be licensed to sell these comics for much longer, so it makes sense for them to get as much money as they can from a property that will soon lose its earning power. An all-round win!

I'm not a big comics buyer any more, though I used to be in my youth. I have actually read a lot of the issues contained herein because the Sheffield public library system has a good selection of the IDW graphic novels, but I don't buy them. I have a handful of DWM collections from both Marvel and Panini that I found cheap (though in the case of The Collected Ninth Doctor Comics, 'cheap' is a relative term); and that's it (well, for Who, anyway).

I'm also not much of one for reading digital comics. I like paper. But both money and storage are at a premium at the moment, and the opportunity to get so much for a little over £9 was irresistible.

So, on with the review, and let's get one of the minor points out of the way first: The lettering, by Tom B. Long, is clear and easy to read. But, as usual, I don't have anything else to say about it. The list of artists in the front of the book is extensive, but I think that this is because we have four issues collected together - the TARDIS Data Bank lists only Simon Fraser on art and Gary Caldwell on colouring for this issue. So I can be pretty sure I know where to direct my boos and cheers.

Ignoring the introductory section (which isn't part of the first Doctor's adventure), Fraser's layout on every page except one is clean and simple, using grids of rectangular panels separated by regular white borders. This gives more impact to the exception - page 23 (24 in the PDF), which is the climax of the story - but it doesn't offer much of interest elsewhere, beyond the use of uncommonly short/wide and tall/thin panels. Still, there is never any confusion over where you need to read next. Within the panels - and across the pages as a whole - elements are arranged much more interestingly, so that there is a good sense of the energy of each scene, and a good variety of camera angles.

The worst job of any artist in these adaptations is getting the likenesses of the main characters right - I discussed a similar issue when talking about the animation for The Reign of Terror. The Doctor is so visually distinctive that he presents the smallest problem, and Fraser's version is fine; but to be honest I found Vicki and Barbara almost unrecognisable here when wearing hats. Not knowing what the celebrity guest star looked like in real life, I don't know if he is accurately represented or not. I'm getting used to the recognition problem (it comes up a lot), so it bothered me here less than it did in my previous IDW comic review. But it still knocks a point or two off my rating.

I have fewer reservations about Caldwell's colouring. It is quite subdued for most of the comic, which works well for a story set in the black and white era. When he strays from this it is generally to good effect: for example, page 14, which is set in a tunnel, has very dim browny-grey tones with small areas of orange where the illuminations of the hand-held lanterns fall; but the centre panel of the page is in much brighter shades of green, drawing attention to the dramatic events focused here. Another fine example is on and around page 22, where both colour range and brightness change as the protagonists reach the chamber of the Animus.

Ah yes, the Animus. This brings us on to the plot. Scott and David Tipton are the writers with Denton J. Tipton editing, making this, I presume, very much a family affair. I was almost instantly put off, seven panels in, when the Doctor explains why he brought his companions to this time (1868) and place (the Royal College of Surgeons). Grr. Why can't writers seem to remember that the Doctor can't control his TARDIS?! It really bugs me. And it's not even necessary to the plot, though it's so woven into the dialogue that it's hard to ignore. Add to that a fairly clichéd discussion on the appropriateness of interfering with the past and I was soon ill-disposed to enjoy the story.

Which is a shame. There are some more problems later - the discussions of science are trite, and the Doctor getting Chesterton's name wrong is horribly overused - but the general plot is fine. I groaned when I saw the Zarbi, but actually they are well used.

After I had finished reading I had a minor epiphany. This is, in a way, a tribute to the first Doctor comics published in TV Comic in the 1960s. The inhabitants of Vortis were, I think, the only aliens from the TV show to appear in these stories; so their use here is particularly appropriate for a modern comic series that is so heavily based on nostalgia. The resolution of the threat is more the kind of thing we would see in the comic than the series, and not just because of budget! And I could even pretend that because the Doctor (the only humanoid character from the TV show to appear in the comics) didn't resemble William Hartnell much, slightly dodgy attempts at his companions here are also fitting. I don't know how much of this is intended - surely not that last point! - but it does retrospectively improve the experience.

Overall, this was more fun than the first Doctor's other IDW outing, but still lacked a certain something. There's at least one eleventh Doctor story in the bundle that I enjoyed more, and I've only read one!

Published:
Date: 29th January 2013
ISBN: 1-78178-084-8

Rating:
4.5/10. Higher for the visuals, lower for the story.

Next Time: 
The Library of Alexandria.

No comments:

Post a Comment