Thursday 24 July 2014

Turbulence

Sometimes it's easy deciding where to split this marathon into chapters; sometimes, like now, it's blinkin' impossible. I started with the first three serials because I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a full marathon with hundreds of reviews; in hindsight that didn't make sense, but never mind. The next obvious division was between production blocks, after Susan had left and before Vicki joined, though I also put a break in at the end of the first season just to keep it from being too long. Iananbarbara leaving was another clear breakpoint, and that nailed down the start of this run.

But then I hit a problem. Tonally there is no logical dividing line anywhere between Mission to the Unknown and Dodo's arrival, and a split any earlier than Mission is pretty pointless. Every other reason I could come up with to make a division within that span felt wrong; in the end I decided to bite the bullet and just include the whole lot. 29 TV episodes in (nominally) 6 serials, 24 audio episodes in 10 dramas, a measly one novel, about 37 short stories and at least 40 comic stories (for reasons which will become clear when I get there). Something like 150 reviews (assuming Big Finish don't add to that in the meantime), and I'm going to want to do some fiction as well for Vicki and Sara at least (though probably not Katarina, Bret or Oliver). Even at an average of about two substantial posts a week - whic I haven't managed for quite some time - we're talking at least a year and a half!

Hang on to your hats - it's going to be a long and bumpy ride...

Next Time:
The Watcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment