Saturday 27 June 2015

Companion Chronicle 4.07: The Suffering

[Well, my apologies for not posting this earlier. This has nothing to do with getting behind on writing entries - I currently have four in hand - and everything to do with getting distracted. I simply forgot to post anything this week!]

This was the fifth outing for Steven in the Companion Chronicles, but only one of those (Mother Russia) had been performed by Peter Purves. The very first Companion Chronicle of all - Frostfire, performed by Maureen O'Brien with Keith Drinkel - will be coming up in this marathon after a book and a couple of short stories.

Which brings up the issue of placement. The reference to Steven's hair apparently seems to put it just before Galaxy Four, while his comment in the first episode that he hasn't eaten since 1066 seems to put it straight after The Time Meddler; and because of other stories in spin-off media these can't both be true. Fortunately, in this case there's a straightforward solution, and for once the framing sequence makes it easier rather than harder. Simply put, the main adventure takes place where the 1066 comment would imply, but Steven and Vicki don't get to make their recording until some time later, either because other adventures get in the way or just because they don't find the necessary equipment for a while. I may change this later - Steven could have been being deliberately less than accurate in his comment, quoting that date for effect - but I'm hoping it won't be necessary.

I am always happy to see Jacqueline Rayner's name on the credits; I still have to get the final seven Companion Chronicles, and I note that she has written Vicki's entry, which is exciting. (There are a number of my other favourite writers in that run, too - I do hope I can get more money from somewhere soon!) Rayner is an author for whom character comes first, but plot and setting are not far behind; basically a balanced approach but with my top priority in pole position. The Suffering is a good example.

What is particularly interesting is that she winkles out some extra personality traits for Steven from the slim pickings we are given in the TV scripts. (Purves' performance does imbue him with a fair bit of character but it rarely comes out of the writing, which for the most part treats him as a stock action hero.) I had been going to say that Rayner created new traits, but then I remembered something which I will talk about a little later in the marathon. Of course, Rayner also does something similar for Vicki, particularly in the final episode but it's not quite so impressive simply because Vicki was better served by script writers on more occasions.

In principle the cover is a fairly standard collage affair, but I like the use of the charge sheet for the arrested Suffragettes and the blending of historical London above and alien world below. The colour scheme is also unusual and effective.

Published:
Date: February 2010
ISBN: 1-84435-463-4

Rating:
7/10.

Next Time:
A short peek forward at The Three Doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment