Saturday 18 August 2012

Susan's Tale: Author's Notes

Well, there you have it. I hope you've enjoyed my first foray into the world of Who fanfic. As Susan said, the adventure isn't complete - but that doesn't mean the story isn't complete, at least from her perspective!

I won't leave the rest of you hanging forever - but you will have to wait until after The Chase, in about six months' time, for reasons that regular readers can readily figure out for themselves.

Now that the story's finished, I'd like to say a little about how it came about - and what I was trying to achieve. During this marathon I had become frustrated that Susan was so ill-served by the TV scripts. In fact, almost all traces of the unearthly child disappeared by the end of the third serial - and many only lasted one episode! It's not surprising that Carole Ann Ford decided to leave when her contract ended. As a bit of a continuity fetishist, this put me in something of a bind: I didn't want to contradict her portrayal on the show, but I didn't want to write a story about a screaming, useless peril monkey either.

So then I thought, why not write a story that is, on one level, a completely traditional adventure that might have appeared on the show at the time, but then restore some of the unearthly child in Susan's inner dialogue? For this I needed some distance, so decided to make it first person and have a framing story, set shortly after her departure from the TARDIS (since The Dalek Invasion of Earth was fresh in my mind).

The fact that there's a further framing sequence beyond that came about for two reasons. The main one is that both of Ford's Companion Chronicles are narrated by a later Susan, with a more mature manner than I would expect from the immediate post-Invasion period, and I found myself using this voice. The second was my need to have a reason for the narration, something personal to make it truly Susan's tale. Family seemed to be a key ingredient, and motherhood offered more scope than matrimony. So I ended up writing three voices for the main character, subtly different for the earlier two periods, and then with at least a decade's more experience for the narrator. Right now, I have absolutely no idea how successful this has been!

Anyway, I now had a point to the story and a structure - but no adventure. Obviously it had to provide the opportunity for an "insight moment" regarding parenthood, but there needed to be more to it than that. And this is where I got a bit stuck. The people of the Nest and their plight came quite easily, but every time I tried to include an actual plot the focus swerved away from Susan. The only way I could bring it back was to make use of her telepathy, and I felt that had been overused as a "see, Susan is useful" trump card (and, of course, it had also been used as a "see, Susan is worse than useless" card in The Witch Hunters).

The breakthrough came when it occurred to me that I didn't have to complete the adventure here. Let the show's first action hero, Ian, handle half of it in his own post-farewell short story! That left me free to concentrate on the part that mattered right now.

And after that, it was just a matter of getting the words onto the page. Which isn't as simple as it seems, partly because of the serialised nature of the story; but I know myself fairly well and had to do that, or I would never have finished it. Still, there are things I will change if I ever prepare an all-in-one version. For one, I've realised that for Ian's Tale to work they need to spend more time in the Nest - and that would give me more of an opportunity to emphasise the activities of the Nest's youngsters, and in the process make Susan's rationale clearer.

Oh, and if anyone can think of a better title than "Susan's Tale", I'd appreciate it! Best I can come up with is Beneath the Surface, but that makes me think of Silurians and Sea Devils...

Next Time:
I'm taking a couple of weeks off. After that, on Gallifrey Base I'll be starting a new thread for a new phase; on the blog, of course, that doesn't apply. Vicki Pallister, rescue is on the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment