Monday 11 March 2013

Episode MA28a: Plot Devices

I generally only write one review for a novel unless I get carried away; but author Gareth Roberts has structured his Missing Adventure as a typical serial, with four individually-named parts. So, since I'm having some trouble keeping up the pace, I thought I might as well divide up the review accordingly, and provide five bite-sized chunks (four individual episode ratings and an overview).

This one will probably be the least bite-sized, seeing as it takes up the first third of the book. It's natural that it should be a bit longer, as all the characters and locations need to be described when we meet them (something that doesn't have to happen on TV); but this still seems somewhat uneven. I'm not passing judgement yet, though!

So much for the width; what about the quality? The first thing to say is that this feels very much like the novelisation of a televised episode - in that the things that don't quite fit with a TV story are the sort of changes that happen in novelisations. We have a limited number of sets: the bulk of the action happens in three or four locations, and the rest could easily be cut down or eliminated. The bear-baiting could be described from the doorway of Mother Bunch's place, for instance, and I can just picture the Doctor talking to the guard at the gates against a painted backdrop of the palace!

The events are also TV-like, particularly now we've got to the point where not every adventure has to start in the TARDIS. Various plots and situations are set up, we get to know the guest cast a little, and there's some humour and peril. The Doctor being interested in the creation of the King James Bible amused me, remembering how he used that as his guide when helping the translators of the first Greek version (IIRC) in Byzantium!

One thing that feels out of place is the Doctor being focused on getting Iananbarbara home when we first meet them - I thought they were all past being so desperate about it. Still, the dialogue's spot on and the regulars feel very much like themselves, so I'm not going to complain too much.

Possibly the best thing I can say to emphasise how much it felt like an episode from the period is that I pictured it in slightly fuzzy black and white - even when they were talking about one character's scarlet shirt. The only exceptions were the very first scene, before we'd seen the travellers and it had linked up in my subconscious, and the face of the Spaniard - because I was reminded so much of V from V for Vendetta (ironically originally a monochrome comic) that I pictured the colour from the cover of the graphic novel version...

Hm, almost a full-length review. Still, the next episode's only just over half as long, so that'll be smaller - won't it?

Rating:
8.5/10.

Next Time:
Holes in the Plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment