Friday 8 March 2013

Serial Q: The Space Museum

This is the last TV serial for which the generally-accepted overall title matches one of the episodes (unless, of course, you count single-episode stories). As a reviewer I say hooray, since I'll no longer have to distinguish between posts merely by having things like "Serial Q" vs "Episode 68 (Q1)" in front of them. Except, of course, for some annoying audios that continue the practice.

I mentioned that I'd already been thoroughly spoiled for this serial before I saw any of it. This does make a big difference for me; and in this case I decided I couldn't honestly review it from my own perspective alone. So I went the whole hog and read, watched or listened to everything I could on it, often incorporating other people's ideas into my reviews but sometimes deliberately skipping them. As a prime example of the latter, I probably would have said something about the 'youth rebellion' theme running through the story - which I had vaguely picked up on - but Elizabeth Sandifer covered it in detail in her blog entry. So head on over to the relevant TARDIS Eruditorum entry for a great analysis.

As part of this marathon I watch every episode at least twice, once just to appreciate it (with some thoughts jotted down afterwards) and once taking notes as I go, often with the commentary on. This time the commentary was invaluable, particularly Maureen O'Brien's memories of the production and Glyn Jones' clarification of how much of the bad stuff wasn't in there originally. I was annoyed with Peter Purves to begin with, because he started the first episode from the position that it's rubbish - not something I like from a moderator. Let the people who were involved make that judgement! But he soon, ah, moderated his position, and did his job well after that.

Another influence was Robert Shearman's defence of the serial (among the DVD extras). I heard this after my first ever viewing. I remember thinking that I had found the serial quite funny, in the main unintentionally; but his analysis, the observation that it is meant to be funny throughout, clicked. I've enjoyed it more on subsequent viewings, and I don't feel too bad about misreading this since almost all the reviews I've read have missed it - and I think the director probably did, too!

Slipped Time Tracks: Alternative Space Museums
This story could have been better, and in some timelines it probably was. Apparently Jones manages to flesh it out quite a bit in the Target novelisation - I'll have to get that one sometime - and I wonder how many of his ideas he reinstated? The biggest idea change made by script editor Dennis Spooner was the explanation of the timeslip, which in the broadcast version is totally pants. In Jones' version, the device that prepares exhibits actually freezes them in time rather than by reducing their temperature. This, however, is dodgy technology, and the act of freezing the travellers causes the slippage that allows them to get a glimpse of their own future and change it. Nicely paradoxical.

Another idea I liked was mentioned by Peter Niemeyer in his review. The tension could have been improved - and the story could have been tied more tightly to the first episode - by having the travellers being frozen one by one: the Doctor at the end of The Dimensions of Time, then Barbara after the original gas attack, and Ian (after a failed attempt to rescue the Doctor) at the end of The Search. This would have made it seem as if the preordained future was coming closer all the time.

Isaac's Corner
The Space Museum is an excellent idea and a good story, although when I heard the description of the original script it made a lot more sense (I didn't like the fact that they said it was just caused by a component going wrong). I like the idea that the Moroks are a great empire in decline (like at the end of the Roman Empire) and that they are pretty rubbish. It's very Steven Moffaty and wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey, messing about with different weird time stuff for the first time. I also like it because it's mine! I rate it an 8/10 because it was highlighted how it could be improved.

That's it, then - the four-parter with the longest gap between first review in this marathon and last. I hope it holds that record forever!

Rating:
Mine: 5/10, episodes 2 & 4 being somewhat redeemed by 1 & 3.
DWM Mighty 200: 50.42%, 190th.
2012 Gallifrey Base Non-Dynamic Rankings: 5.36, 203rd out of 234.

This was voted the worst Hartnell serial by DWM readers, but only the fourth worst on Gallifrey Base.

Next Time:
After the epilogue to The Final Phase, what could it be but the first episode of the next Dalek epic? Actually, what it could be is Plot Devices...

No comments:

Post a Comment